The Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS)
What is it?
This is a scheme that allows parents/carers to buy musical instruments without paying VAT, which is a saving of 20%.
How the scheme works
Lockyer’s Middle School is part of this scheme and can, therefore, offer the discount. We can provide you with a list of local retailers who are part of the AIPS scheme so that you are able to visit them to get advice and be able to choose the instrument you need. Once you have chosen an instrument and know the cost, you will need to complete an application form, which is available to download below, and return it to the school office along with your payment (not forgetting to exclude the VAT), for your instrument. The invoice will show the total cost including the VAT so that the school is able to claim back the VAT. Cheques should be made payable to Lockyer’s Middle School. Please note that we cannot process any orders until we have received full payment. We will then send the request to our AIPS music supplier who will fulfill the order and deliver the instrument to school. Once delivered, we will inform parents/carers that the instrument can be collected from school. Upon collection, the instrument becomes the property of the pupil and any issues after purchase will need to be addressed directly with the retailer.
To qualify for the VAT free instrument:
- The pupil must be attending Lockyer's Middle School
- The pupil must be receiving music tuition for the instrument from one of the visiting Dorset Music Service tutors or other professional music teacher
- The instrument must be suitable for the pupil's needs
- The instrument must be portable
- Lockyer's Middle School must place the order for the instrument and payment must be received before it is then collected by the parents/carers.